Customers can use their Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card to make grocery purchases at chain grocery stores if they are SNAP-eligible and reside in a state where Piggly Wiggly operates.
You’ve come to the right place if you’re trying to find out which Piggly Wiggly locations in your neighborhood accept food stamps. The Piggly Wiggly supermarket stores that take EBT will all be listed in this article. This article is a part of our ongoing series on SNAP/Food Stamp businesses.
Table of Contents
What Is Piggly Wiggly?
Located in the South and Midwest of the country, Piggly Wiggly is a chain of supermarkets run by Piggly Wiggly, LLC, a division of C&S Wholesale Grocery. The company’s initial location, which debuted in Memphis, Tennessee, in 1916, is renowned for being the first real self-service grocery store and the source of several staples seen in modern supermarkets, including checkout counters, price tags, and shopping trolleys.
The present location of the company’s headquarters is in Keene, New Hampshire. In total, there are 499 privately owned Piggly Wiggly locations operating in 18 states, the majority of which are located in smaller cities and towns.
What Is EBT?
A magnetically encrypted payment card is used in the US as part of the Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) system, which enables state welfare agencies to deliver benefits. In 2004, it started operating on a national scale. Each participant received an average monthly EBT payment of $125.
Food and cash benefits are the two types of EBT benefits available. Federally approved perks known as “food benefits” can only be used to buy food and non-alcoholic beverages. The Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP), previously the Food Stamp Program, provides food subsidies. General state support, TANF payments (temporary assistance for needy families), and refugee benefits are all examples of cash assistance.
Does Piggly Wiggly Accept EBT?
According to the Food Stamps Now website, Piggly Wiggly is one of the US grocery store chains that accept EBT cards as payment. For families who require financial assistance to purchase food, the federal government offers SNAP. Instead of using food stamps as payment, consumers now utilize reloadable EBT debit cards.
What Can You Buy At Piggly Wiggly With EBT?
SNAP benefits are meant to help low-income people and families achieve a healthy diet. With your SNAP EBT card, you can purchase non-processed food items from any brand, including bread, cereal, dairy products, cold drinks, snacks, and beverages. meat. You cannot use your EBT card to buy ingredients, alcohol, tobacco, hot beverages, or products like cleaning supplies. The following is a list of what is contained in EBT meal packs:
- Breakfast cereal.
- Fruit and vegetables.
- Canned fish and legumes.
- Meats and poultry.
- Rice, tortillas, and rice.
- Peanut butter.
- Tofu and soy products.
- Juice (non-carbonated, shelf-stable).
- Whole wheat bread and other whole grains.
What Items Are Not EBT Compatible At Piggly Wiggly?
There are limitations on what you can and cannot buy with an EBT card in addition to the eligible items. There is a list of the following elements:
- Supplements, vitamins, and medications.
- Alcohol, tobacco, wine, beer, and alcohol.
- Cleaning equipment.
- Live creatures, excluding fish and shellfish.
- Hot meal.
How To Use EBT On Piggly Wiggly Step By Step?
To pay at Piggly Wiggly with your EBT card, just follow these steps!
1. Prior to loading checkout, you must first segregate your EBT-eligible products from normal purchases when you visit an active register.
2. The cashier typically places your food order when you want to pay for your products.
3. Next, you must enter your PIN at the point of sale (POS) and swipe or display your card.
4. You must tell the cashier which account, Cash or SNAP, will be used to charge your order.
5. To make sure the charges are accurate, you can enter your PIN again on the POS keypad.
6. Typically, your boss or supervisor may require photo identification in order to confirm that the EBT you wish to pay is in your name.
7. After that, the full cost of the purchase will be withdrawn from your Cash or SNAP account in accordance with your instructions.
In order to prevent fraud and to see the most recent amount on your EBT card, it is always important to retain your receipts.
Other Grocery Stores That Take EBT Cards
Many establishments, including some of the big grocery chains, accept EBT. It is essential to call your local institution ahead of time because not all retailers accept EBT. The following businesses take EBT:
- CVS Pharmacy
- Rite Aid
- Does Jack In The Box Take EBT?
- Does Pizza Hut Take EBT, Gift Cards?
- Does Albertsons Take EBT, SNAP or Food Stamps?
Before using your card, confirm that your local institution accepts EBT because not all retailers do. You can always call ahead and ask if a store accepts EBT if you’re unsure.
Customers can now use their EBT cards to purchase groceries at Piggly-Wiggly-approved establishments. Infant formula and specialty goods are also approved by WIC.
Verify which Piggly Wiggly locations will accept your EBT card for in-store purchases exclusively before visiting them. You cannot send money or make purchases online. Bear in mind that Piggly Wiggly does not allow the use of alcohol, drugs, or tobacco. Enjoy your shopping!